Raleigh, NC has seen its share of hurricanes and other severe weather. Adding hurricane window coverings to your Raleigh, NC home can not only help protect you and your property during severe weather, but can also add additional security and peace of mind in the face of natural disasters, break ins, and other similar issues.
If you’re interested in learning more about hurricane window coverings, here is a list of different varieties and their pros and cons to help you learn more about your options:
- Accordion Shutters – This shutter style is set apart by a one- or two-piece construction that folds away on either side of a window when not in use. They fold out like an accordion to add protection. Accordion shutters are permanent and can be locked to add security. However, they can look bulky and are therefore not very stylish and are also easier to break than other kinds of shutters.
- Colonial Shutters – Colonial shutters are also louvered, but they are in two pieces and attached to the walls beside the window. The two pieces come together to protect the window. Colonial shutters are easy to use, permanent and stylish, but some models do require a storm bar or center rod to lock the shutters in place.
- Storm Panel Shutters – Generally made of aluminum or steel, these shutters are attached to the walls around the window on bolts or tracks. They have corrugated panels that overlap, making them very secure. Storm panel shutters come in three different styles, making it easy to choose the one that’s best for you and your home. One style uses both tracks and bolts. The second style has C-shapes tracks at the top and bottom of the window, while the third only has bolts to secure it to the wall. Storm panels are great as they are inexpensive and strong, but are bad as they can be tough to install and use.
- Bahamas Shutters – These window shutters are one-piece louvered shutters that are attached above the windows they protect and prop up to open. They can be lowered for extra protection, which is convenient. They are also easy to use, permanent, and usually aesthetically pleasing. However, Bahamas shutters can be weaker than other types, and often block too much light for some homeowners.
- Roll Down Shutters – Roll down shutters are attached to the wall above the window, and can be rolled away and stored in an enclosed box when not in use. They also come in different styles, which each one using various rolling methods like hand cranks or automatic buttons. These shutters are great for added protection, and are easy for one person to use. However, they can be very expensive and oftentimes require a battery backup system in case of power outages.
No matter what kind of window covering is interesting to you for your home, you can count on Kiwi Designs, a AAA Blinds & Shutters Company, for expert assistance when it comes to Raleigh, NC window coverings. Please visit us at 1785 NW Maynard Rd Cary, NC 27513, or give us a call at (919) 380-0898 today for more information.